Based on its many years of experience in the industry, the Heenan Blaikie Condominium Group represents condominium developers, condominium corporations, co-operatives and co-ownerships.
Heenan Blaikie’s Condominium Group provides advice with respect to the following:
- Condominium developers – bringing projects to market, assist with the registration process, facilitate post-registration and turnover, and handle occupancy and final closings
- Condominium corporations, co-operatives and co-ownerships – (1) participation in board meetings and owners meetings; (2) drafting of by-laws, rules, amendments to declarations, shared facilities agreements, alteration agreements and other documentation; (3) advice on employment and labour matters, human rights matters, insurance claims, repairs and maintenance; (4) collection of arrears of common expenses, liens, power of sale, foreclosure and tenant attornment and rent; (5) condominium litigation, mediation and arbitration services for enforcement matters, construction deficiencies and other declarant-related issues
In the fall of 2010, Heenan Blaikie’s Condominium Group launched the Condo Reporter blog, which represents a useful supplement to the existing Condo Report – a publication written by our practitioners in condominium law. Both are Ontario-focused information tools.
The Condo Reporter blog offers readers timely commentaries, articles and videos on hot topics in condo law, legislative updates and summaries of recent legal cases affecting Ontario’s condo managers, directors and developers. Members of the Condominium Group from the Toronto and Ottawa offices provide regular content.
Our lawyers frequently write articles for condo publications, including CondoBusiness, CM Magazine and Condo Voice. In addition, they teach courses for condo directors through the Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI-Toronto and Area Chapter).
Many of our lawyers belong to a vast array of condo-related associations and organizations, such as the following:
- Building Industry and Land Development Association (BILD)
- Canadian Condominium Institute (CCI)
- Association of Condominium Managers of Ontario (ACMO)
- Community Associations Institute (United States)
- Urban Land Institute (United States)
- Association des syndicats de copropriété du Québec