Success in the mining industry relies on a careful balancing of risks and rewards. The challenge is understanding the hard technical issues of mining, the world of mining finance, regulation, taxation, environmental issues, corporate social responsibility, the operations of mining and natural resources companies and a host of other topics.
Heenan Blaikie’s Mining group offers formidable knowledge and extensive experience in structuring and negotiating agreements and arrangements relating to mining projects in more than 60 countries worldwide.
We provide mining advice in connection with:
- Drafting and negotiating mining agreements, including mineral exploration and option agreements, farm-in agreements, joint venture agreements, royalty agreements, share and asset purchase agreements, and sales agreements
- First Nations and Aboriginal relations, such as Aboriginal title and rights, consultations and negotiations on mining projects, Impact and Benefit Agreements, mining revenue sharing, participation of First Nations in environmental assessments, valuation of mineral properties, as well as cultural, environmental and social impact of mining operations on Aboriginal communities
- Environment-related issues, including mine closure, site rehabilitation and remediation, environmental assessment process, risk management, technology development to reduce environmental impacts (land, air, water) and electricity consumption
- Government relations – mineral policy and mineral strategy issues for governments; advising provincial and federal governments in the development of mineral resources, both metallic and non-metallic; mineral exploration; metal sales agreements and infrastructure contracts of all types
- Local community relations and stability agreements
- Corporate and commercial transactions, including corporate restructurings, amalgamations, divestitures, project financing, credit facilities and commercial arrangements
- Financing and listing matters, such as private placements, public offerings, reverse takeovers and stock exchange listings
- Domestic and cross-border private and public M&A transactions
- Labour and employment law, including occupational health and safety, trade union issues, human rights and employment agreements
- International business – deal execution in virtually all of the world’s major stock exchanges located in major and emerging mining countries on every continent; foreign investment review; civil law and common law jurisdictions
Members of our Mining group advise and represent junior, mid-sized and large cap Canadian and international mineral exploration and mining companies at every stage of a mining project – from the early days of mineral exploration activity through to project development, finance, production and marketing. Our Mining group also provides in-house geological and technical expertise.
Heenan Blaikie’s Mining group works alongside experienced mining professionals who are part of Heenan Blaikie Consulting, our firm’s consulting arm. This team of accomplished exploration, mining and business professionals, industry specialists and government leaders brings together its members’ combined experience to successfully assist our clients with mission-critical transactions, negotiations, relationships and dispute resolution, both domestically and internationally.
Our lawyers are actively involved in the mining industry, including through organizations such as:
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (American Bar Association)
- L’Association de l’exploration minière du Québec (AEMQ)