Heenan Blaikie has a dedicated team of lawyers experienced in areas critical to retail, restaurant and franchise businesses. Our firm’s comprehensive knowledge of this industry enables us to react quickly, economically and effectively to address virtually any legal situation that arises for our clients.
Our Retail Services group is comprised of lawyers from individual areas of expertise, who focus their practice on issues related to the retail, restaurant and franchising industries. The group works as a team for each client, with a specific lawyer serving as lead, while others are called upon when needed, and are quickly brought up to speed on an issue. Each lawyer shares the common goal of providing the highest quality legal services to clients in the most consistent, efficient and cost-effective manner.
We represent a large number of Canadian and international clients to whom we provide value by identifying practical solutions, anticipating issues and solving legal problems, including:
- Large international retailers with Canadian operations
- Specialty retailers
- Restaurant franchises
- Natural food supermarkets
- Fashion companies
- Ready-to-wear chain stores
Heenan Blaikie’s Retail Services group provides advice in connection with:
- Assisting U.S. retailers in their Canadian expansions
- Establishing start-up retail operations
- Franchising or licensing businesses
- Developing efficient programs and financing strategies for clients
- Intellectual property issues, such as creating and protecting trade-marks and trade secrets
- Corporate and tax structuring
- Labour and employment, including workforce issues
- Acquisition of retail, restaurant and franchise businesses
- E-commerce issues
- Construction law
The Heenan Blaikie Retail Services group is skilled at taking retail and restaurant clients through every step of their business development – from becoming a newly established entity to franchising the concept and opening locations in multiple new markets. Whether you are a national retailer with numerous facilities throughout the country or a small supplier catering to the needs of a local clientele, our dedicated team of lawyers has solutions to all your legal needs, which help you focus on your business goals.