Heenan Blaikie has an active domestic and international wealth management practice that includes the representation of individuals, families, privately owned companies, corporate trustees, charities and non-profit organizations, both in Canada and abroad.
The importance of estate planning cannot be overemphasized. The adverse financial and human consequences of an ill-considered plan can be crippling to individuals and their families. Drawing upon the extensive resources and expertise of our firm as a whole, the lawyers of our Wealth Management group are able to provide creative, thorough, practical and cost-effective solutions to complex problems.
Heenan Blaikie’s Wealth Management group provides advice to individuals and businesses in connection with:
- Corporate and commercial issues – business succession arrangements, asset conservation, structuring life insurance trusts, estate freezes
- Philanthropy, charitable gifts and advice on the establishment, registration and operation of trusts, charities and foundations
- Business structuring and succession planning
- Financial services, banking and insolvency – wealth preservation, estate and trust administration, management of charitable and non-profit organizations, preparation of wills and powers of attorney, offshore banking and trusts, insolvent estates, lifetime trusts, trust accounting
- France’s droits de succession
- Personal and financial planning – estate planning, settlement of estates, administration of inter vivos and testamentary trusts, advice on fiduciary and tax responsibilities, interpretation of wills and trust instruments
- Litigation – will and trust contests, probate litigation, disputes over estate plans, contested powers of attorney, contested heirship, charitable pledge disputes, guardianship disputes, contested trust accounting procedures
- International business – offshore business trusts, international estate planning, international philanthropy
- Entertainment, sports and media – asset optimization, earnings distribution, foundations and trusts, publishing and image rights
Working in a truly national practice, the lawyers of the Wealth Management group at Heenan Blaikie are experts in both common and civil law trusts. We are able to meet our clients' needs anywhere in Canada and can advise them on which is the best jurisdiction or legal structure to achieve their goals.
Members of our Wealth Management group belong to several associations and organizations, including:
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP Canada)
- International Fiscal Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association (National Wills, Estates and Trusts Section)
- The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law