Sylvain Poirier is coordinator of the firm’s Health Law group. He practises health law and labour law, with a particular emphasis on administrative law as it applies to health and social services. More specifically, he focuses on the legal aspects of the reconfiguration of the health network, the internal management of health institutions and their relationships with the various stakeholders in the community. His practice also involves the supervision and discipline of health professionals.
Mr. Poirier's focuses his labour law practice on grievance arbitration, employment standards and human rights. Through his labour and health law practice, he has developed an expertise in legal issues resulting from human resources management in health and social services, particularly with respect to executive officers, senior and middle management, health professionals and clinical and unionized staff.
Mr. Poirier is a founding member and executive secretary of the Société de médecine et de droit du Québec, and was director of legal affairs of the Association des hôpitaux du Québec and of the Association québécoise d’établissements de santé et de services sociaux. He was also lecturer at the Université de Sherbrooke’s Master’s program in Health Law.
Mr. Poirier is recognized as a leading practitioner in the area of Health Care Law in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Woodward / White). Best Lawyers also named him 2014 Montreal Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law.
Mr. Poirier joined Heenan Blaikie in 1984.
- LL.M., Université de Sherbrooke, 1993
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1983
Publications & Conferences
- Les conflits d'intérêts des cadres, du personnel, des professionnels et l'exclusivité de fonctions des cadres supérieurs des établissements publics de santé et des services sociaux: guide (Montréal: L'Association des hôpitaux du Québec, 1998, 26 p.)
- Le contrôle de l'exercice de la médecine en milieu hospitalier (Sherbrooke: R.D.U.S., 1994)
- L'avortement et la liberté de conscience du médecin (1990) 31 C. de D. 287-305
The Best Lawyers in Canada
(Health Care Law - 2014)
(Lawyer of the Year: Montreal, Health Care Law - 2014)