At Heenan Blaikie, we are looking for students who will become first-rate lawyers and excellent colleagues at Heenan Blaikie. In our view, a first-rate lawyer is above all a creative and collaborative individual. We are looking for a trail-blazer who is thoroughly familiar with all facets of the law and who can make an argument that will result in a precedent-setting decision, propose a solution to resolve a deadlocked negotiation, or structure a transaction suited to the specific needs of a business. We value originality, creativity, collaboration and fresh ideas more than the comfort of well-worn views and set ways. It’s more demanding, but infinitely more satisfying.
We have succeeded in creating a stimulating and personally enriching work environment, thanks to the contribution of each and every member of our firm. We are always on the lookout for young lawyers who will contribute to the Heenan Blaikie ethos. As one of the largest and most prestigious law firms in Canada, we strongly believe that maintaining our firm depends on the enthusiasm and ability of the next generation of lawyers.
Lexpert recently published the Law Student and Associate Recruitment Guide, which ranks national and regional firms according to surveys conducted among lawyers at the listed firms.
Beyond the facts, the survey comments provided by summer students, articling students and young lawyers at Heenan Blaikie over the years are particularly interesting. Here are some of them:
- Many firms do top level work, and this is one of them. What you want to do is select a place where you like the culture and the people, and where you think you might want to stay for a career. The culture at Heenan Blaikie is rare among large Bay Street firms. It’s friendly and supportive, and is not burdened by some of the outdated traditions that are still practised by some of the older firms on Bay Street.
- Heenan Blaikie applies an incredibly rational, intelligent and humanistic approach to associate billing and production issues. Relative to other firms I have worked at, the attitude and approach applied at Heenan Blaikie facilitates both the professional and personal growth of associates. In other words, there is good balance with non-professional life and a general openness to developing my own practice while billing a profitable number of hours to the firm.
- The firm encourages associates to have a good balance between billable and non-billable hours. We have no set targets.
- Great firm to article with. If you have a solid work ethic and establish trust early, articling students are given meaningful responsibilities. When applying, showing an entrepreneurial spirit and initiative are important.
- Heenan’s billable targets are reasonably attainable and there may be some flexibility depending on your practice.
- Pro Bono hours count towards your billable target which makes those projects attractive.
- Development of associates and junior partners is a priority.
- I am very happy at Heenan Blaikie. I would not even consider making a lateral move. The training, support, client contact and freedom to take on a wide range of mandates makes Heenan Blaikie an exceptional place to start a law career.
- Great place to grow and learn if you are eager, dedicated and hard-working.